Monday 13 April 2015

Penny Spears That's a very good point, Sue. I had an aggressive dog, a shih zhu!, that was taken off the streets of Toledo. I don't know if being homeless caused him to be the way he was, but I think early abuse had more to do with it. I loved him so much, he had such personality. He tended to bite unexpectedly, the other dogs were terrified of him


I read this with a rising sense of disgust and disbelief.
I was looking for information about vets euthanizing healthy dogs and the law therein, but I found this instead.
It features what can best be described as a Pit Bull owner who BECAME a Pit Bull Nuttress. She had a submissive Pit dog in the house, one that did no wrong, and was a good ambassador for his breed. THEN, another Pit dog comes into the house to live with them. You'll have to read for yourselves just HOW many warnings that woman had, before she finally caused her first Pit Bull to die because of her immersion into Nuttery.
If an owner is LUCKY enough to keep ONE submissive Pit dog in their house, they should NEVER push their luck and bring another Pit dog into that mix. Pit Bulls' FIGHT EACH OTHER - they are meant to DO that thing, and if Lady Luck has given you a Pit dog that is NOT interested in doing that thing, don't tempt fate by getting ANOTHER one.
As for vets who refuse to euthanize aggressive dogs simply because they are young and healthy - you are despicable. Not all life is viable.
Like · 
  • 15 people like this.
  • Brenda Carr Nice read. Thanks for sharing.
  • Laurie Anne Thought provoking. This would be a worthy subject for a presentation at a veterinary conference. Not enough info in the article to be certain, but could the vet who refused to put down the blind, seriously dog-aggressive dog politically motivated, i.e. an adherent to the sometimes skewed views of the No Kill movement? The vet was quite unwise, and perhaps would have made a more considered choice if he/she had looked at the big picture of the future of an animal like this - i.e. surrendered to a shelter, and unadoptable due to his special needs, or threatening another pet in the home or in public? The reason euthanasia was even considered was out of fear of aggression, after a number of options had already been tried. Why guilt trip the family? What realistic suggestions did the vet make to solve their problem when he refused to euthanize? Was the vet unaware of the unadoptability of this dog, that it was pie in the sky to imagine he would easily find an experienced owner without other pets? The matter of euthanization on demand is a troubling one, but it invites serious discussion to confront it.
  • Judy Morgan you are so right thanks for sharing this info
  • Lesley Karen Luscombe Vets must euthanise aggressive dogs of any age; I don't care if it is a young dog or an ancient one. The risk are too great. In the case of a Pit dog, if the vet refuses to euthanise and then pushes the already guilt-ridden owner into allowing a rescue to TAKE that aggressive Pit dog, that is when things can go tragically wrong, and no doubt have already GONE tragically wrong. 

    A canine problem with eager teeth and a genetic desire to grip until death is a problem that needs halting at source, full stop. Not passed onto someone else to 'sort' out, at the cost of a child's face or someone else's sweet pet being mauled to death.

    I understand that vets have every right to refuse to euth a dog of any age that could live happily elsewhere. That's another matter altogether.
  • Dennis Ballance Sr Why would anyone want dogs like these seems like more stress than enjoyment. I guess most owners don't feel the stress they let them run free and let the neighbors deal with them
  • Sarah Howard It's cool, trendy and rebellious.
  • Kell Brigan One of several things that makes me crazy about the "No Kill" business is that it's ALWAYS, solely LOCALLY "No Kill." Every dangerous dog taking up shelter space means that at least one, or many, normal dogs are dying on the streets. Apparently they only care about the dogs that are a) fashionable ("rebellious" is definitely the word) or b) within their eye sight.
  • Sarah Howard We have activists who work or have worked in animal control who will attest to the fact that volunteers prefer to work/walk the bullies and especially the ones who might be pts because of temperament. "The lion tamer complex" - They will euthanize adoptable dogs to save the undogs and if anyone resists, there is trouble.
  • Heidi Schold Dennis Ballance Sr thats my thoughts exactly why would you want one
  • Sue Palen If an owner brings a dog to the vet and says a dog is agressive and it should be put down, the vet should trust the owner. Dogs are property and they are the property of the owner. The vet has no reason to play God with a person's property.
  • Penny Spears That's a very good point, Sue. I had an aggressive dog, a shih zhu!, that was taken off the streets of Toledo. I don't know if being homeless caused him to be the way he was, but I think early abuse had more to do with it. I loved him so much, he had such personality. He tended to bite unexpectedly, the other dogs were terrified of him. He slept by my feet until the night he nearly took off one of my toes. I tried everything. I was really worried about the kids next door, he was a small dog and looked very loveable. The day I reached under my shower stool for the next dog to wash and he nearly bit off the end of my finger, I couldn't take any more. I loved him and couldn't allow him to suffer and die in a hoarder's cage. I called my vet to euthanize him, and was immediately told, "I don't euthanize any dog for biting. If you are worried about the children next door, watch him better." I was stunned. I did call another vet, who was very kind. He said he believes some dogs are schizophrenic from bad breeding, and that he supported my decision. Because really, who would know better than those who lived with him? I didn't think he should become someone else's problem, and just because he was small didn't mean he couldn't cause some severe damage. I have some scars and nerve damage, but I know I did the right thing. When I came home, the other dogs were so relieved that I felt even worse! But I never went to my regular vet again. I think she's an animal hoarder herself, anyway. I felt betrayed by the way my concerns were brushed aside.
  • Sue Palen So glad you shared this with the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pls share your opinions?