Monday 13 April 2015

Merritt Clifton No weapon is more useless against a dog attack than a knife. Practically no one has the wrist strength and coordination to accurately stab a charging dog in a manner that stops the charge. The very act of trying to stab a charging dog puts you at the dog's level, and the dog's momentum will carry the dog into your body even if you stab accurately. Firearms have about an 80% success rate in stopping a charging pit bull; fire extinguishers have about a 70% success rate; pocket-sized sprays might have a 10% success rate at most; and knives and clubs have a negative success rate, meaning that trying to use them tends to increase the risk that the user will be injured by the dog. However, using the same instrument that might be used as a club as a bite-stick instead will buy time, & so long as the dog is chomping on the object used as a bite-stick, the dog is not chomping on you.


Today while my boyfriend and I were riding home on his motorcycle we had a loose pit bull run out of a yard, full speed, mouth open, hackles up, heading straight for our front tire. Luckily we saw it in time to avoid it and there was no other traffic. I'm sure it just wanted to *lick us to death*
Like · 
  • 27 people like this.
  • Carol Miller No doubt.
  • Jeff Borchardt Have you all seen that video of the pit bulls ripping the bumper of a cop car?
  • Nyki Phillips I have seen it Jeff, it's horrific. 
  • Jeff Borchardt http://youtu.be/B1xndiXQJsc
    Dog eats cop car: A Chattanooga police officers...
    YOUTUBE.COM
  • Nyki Phillips I will be in my truck not on the motorcycle when I pass that house from now until it's safe again.
  • Nicole Marie run it over!
  • Dusty Brown Could have been so much worse! Glad you are okay. Thanks for reporting this.
  • Jean Olszewski There's also a video of one tearing a bike tire apart.
  • Olivia Wyatt My brother was out riding his bike and a big, muscular grey pit bull ran after him for a long time. My brother had to ride that bike hard----I mean very hard for his life.
  • Olivia Wyatt This was in 2014 on a regular bike not a motorcycle.
  • Jeff Borchardt Your brother is lucky to be alive Olivia Wyatt....
  • Nyki Phillips I wasn't as worried about injuries from wrecking as much as I was about what the pit would do if we were on the ground.
  • Nyki Phillips I'm glad your brother was able to get away Olivia Wyatt.
  • Jennifer Sue Scott Scary. Glad you're ok. Nobody should have to live this way #WontBackDown
  • Mark Adrian I've been living this way for almost a year because of two freerange Pit Bulls on my street. Animal control has been here twice for the Pit across the street. They still let it out off leash every day. My lease is up next month. I'm trying to find a Pit free neighborhood to move to. It looks like I may be moving to a hose in the country.
  • Laurel Davis why is it always hell hounds that owners let run around loose? This situation is a good one for wasp or bear spray.
  • Jennifer Sue Scott Mark Adrian, it's my dream. Do it if you can for sure.
  • Nyki Phillips This house is about 3 miles from mine but there are several loose pits that have been roaming through my yard this past week. I haven't shot them because I work long hours and worry about my pets home alone.  
    They're never outdoors unsupervised or off leash but I don't trust neighbors with free range pits to not break windows or locks.
  • Dusty Brown Shoot, shovel, shut up. Rinse and repeat.
  • Karen Branson To avoid it?! I would have gone right at it full speed! Haha - just kidding; I wouldn't attempt that on a motorcycle! I did clip a deer once on my BIKE! Yes, I am the only dope that could actually hit a deer on a bike. That didn't end well although thankfully that was before i was riding a road bike with clip-ins!
  • Dusty Brown You should carry a tent stake for a break stick. You might hesitate to get near a mauling Pit's jaws, but many times good Samaritans are willing to help.
  • Nyki Phillips I carry a knife and always have. (Ranch girl here, it goes in my pocket with my ChapStick) and because of my job usually wear steel toe boots. I doubt the boots would help much.
  • Merritt Clifton No weapon is more useless against a dog attack than a knife. Practically no one has the wrist strength and coordination to accurately stab a charging dog in a manner that stops the charge. The very act of trying to stab a charging dog puts you at the dog's level, and the dog's momentum will carry the dog into your body even if you stab accurately. Firearms have about an 80% success rate in stopping a charging pit bull; fire extinguishers have about a 70% success rate; pocket-sized sprays might have a 10% success rate at most; and knives and clubs have a negative success rate, meaning that trying to use them tends to increase the risk that the user will be injured by the dog. However, using the same instrument that might be used as a club as a bite-stick instead will buy time, & so long as the dog is chomping on the object used as a bite-stick, the dog is not chomping on you.
  • Merritt Clifton What typically follows, after I have posted the above information, is that knife devotees post a lot of links to cases in which people have used knives to kill pit bulls -- and what they always overlook is that the knives were used to stab the pit bulls from behind, while they tore the #$%@ out of some other person or animal. Never once has anyone produced an authenticated account of someone stopping a charging pit bull with a knife.
  • Nyki Phillips Good information to have Merritt Clifton, I've never lived anywhere with so many loose pits. The only time I've been attacked I was riding one of my horses and luckily had my older, dog hating horse with me. Jimmy, the older horse, kicked the attacking pit repeatedly and we were able to get away while it was stunned.
  • Jennifer Sue Scott What kind of club, Merritt Clifton? One that can fit in a pocket?
  • Joe Hill Nyki Phillips roaming thru your yard from 3 miles away? Lol choot'em!!!!!
  • Merritt Clifton Any type of blunt instrument -- golf club, baseball bat, two-by-four, etc. It will work as a bite-stick, but trying to hit a charging dog with it accurately and forcefully enough to stop the dog is like trying to hit a major league curve ball out of the park.
  • Nyki Phillips Joe Hill, the ones in my yard belong to close neighbors, the one chasing us on the motorcycle was a few miles from my house. There seems to have been a pit bull explosion here. 
  • James Hassinger So when you see these abuses, what do you do? Do you call or write the city council and ask them to pass BSL?
  • Nyki Phillips I have turned them in to the city and several have been euthanized but it seems like for every one they pick up, two more replace it.
  • Donald Davidson just a nanny dog trying to protect you from harm
  • Nyki Phillips Also, I'm not a permanent resident here, I'm here because of my job, as are the majority of the current residents.
  • Kell Brigan Glad you're OK.
  • Thomas McCartney Taser"s rarely work.
    22 hrs · Like
  • Julia Lewis Really, Thomas? That's bad.
    21 hrs · Like
  • Thomas McCartney I agree it is sad, they have a long history of failing when used on an attacking pit, the mutants just ignore them as it it was a flea bite.
    21 hrs · Like
  • Liza Mae Ack! We have a pit fur mommy in our neighborhood now. Saw her for the first time this weekend, only she was on the bike and the pit was following her OFF LEASH! we have no leash laws.
    14 hrs · Like · 2
  • Jean Olszewski When Michelle greenfield saved her Corgi from a pit bull attack while the young owner couldn't stop his pit ,she got a knife from her car, stabbing it in the eyes did not stop it . Cutting its jugular did not stop it. It only let go of her dog after she held it and it died. Then the owner tried to run her over while she was with her 98 year old grandmother .
    13 hrs · Like · 1
  • Merritt Clifton Tasers don't work on any kind of animal who has dense fur.
    10 hrs · Like · 1
  • Joanna McGinn Liza... Maybe that IS a step you could push for... don't go for the 'jugular'..i.e. the full tilt BSL... go for leash laws. with some teeth.
    9 hrs · Like · 1
  • Dusty Brown Liza, my mouth would have screamed a few choice words at the mauler's mommy. All be vocal around then, draw attention, embarrass them for their poor choices and decisions. You never know when a Pit will attack. You want all eyes on you.
    9 hrs · Like · 2
  • Thomas McCartney Even if you don't have a leash law one has the legal right of ones own person and to Stop anyone or thing including a dog from access ones person if one does not want it too and to use whatever means available to do so especially if one feels threatened.
    3 hrs · Like · 1
  • Thomas McCartney No leash law does not mean the nutter be it dog or pit can have an out of control dog that can approach and physically interact with anyone at will.
    3 hrs · Like · 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

pls share your opinions?